Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Markers

Got some awesome Tria and Faber Castell markers for Christmas, so I decided to give them a try and sketch for a bit.

Tria Three-nib markers in cool and warm greys.

Warm and cool grey markers are essential for design sketching as they are great for defining areas of light and shadow. Something I wanted to try for a while too is a blending marker, which makes transitions between colours smoother on paper. The Faber Castell markers on the other hand have one tip that is flexible, so line variation can be achieved easily.

Having not sketched in market for a while, it took some time to decide on the subject of the sketch. While thinking about what to draw, I tested out the markers on some Letraset paper. Pretty cool.

Some initial doodles with the new markers.

As I looked around the room, I saw my laptop, which was fully charged and did not need the power cord for a while. So I drew the power cord connector. First in pencil, then in marker. A simple object at first glance, it contained a lot of detail! Plus, the fact that it is a white object made the sketch a great excercise for capturing light and shadow right. An hour later, here is what I had.

Marker and pencil sketch of a Mac power connector.

No comments:

Post a Comment